Friday, April 17, 2009

Not-so-good Friday

I get very excited about public holidays as they are rare times when I get to work in the studio for longer than an hour and a half at a time! So excited was I last (Good) Friday about having the Engineer home on a week day to look after the little lady that I had stayed up late the night before just to get everything in my studio ready for a big glaze-off. Benches cleaned, oodles of pots awaiting, containers of water, sponges, underglaze pencils and brushes laid out, glazes sieved and ready to rock. 

Down I went and glazed and glazed and glazed and glazed. It’s a fiddly job and I'm very particular about it. My patchwork range of beakers in particular have detailed little squares that get painted in by hand in a couple of different glazes, tiny little holes that need to be filled in so light can get through but liquid can’t get out.  Its probably the most finicky and tedious process of all, and it’s a job I just like to get out of the way really.

So how good did I feel when I resurfaced after a good few hours with shelves full of perfectly glazed pieces ready to pack into the kiln? Pretty damn good! That is until I glanced down at my glaze bucket as I was hanging up my apron and realised I had glazed EVERYTHING in the wrong glaze. 

Oh MY there were a LOT of four letter expletives tumbling out of my mouth let me tell you! My precious precious studio time so horribly wasted! I almost cried! I sat with my head in my hands and then slowly placed each and every piece into buckets full of water to soak the glaze off so I could start ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Groan. 

Not-so-good Friday!

7 comments:

Kim Wallace :: Udessi said...

Oh no... Your story almost me ME want to cry too!

Jerry said...

Arghh!! Well, at least you discovered the mix up before they were fired, right?

amy h said...

Oh my. My sympathies!

Anonymous said...

oh i know what you mean with the four letter expletives... recently my 4 year old daughter started saying god d*mn about 40 times a day and i said to her mom... "where's she getting that from?" and she said... you say it about every half hour when you're working in the studio. sorry about the wasted time.

Mel Robson said...

aaaw thanks everyone! Nothing like a bit o sympathy!! And Jerry, that's exactly what i spent the rest of the day telling myself. It was some consolation!

Mel Robson said...

And jim, yes, i will have to start watching my mouth soon!!

carole epp said...

oh sadness...i can imagine the frustration.